Sunday, April 17, 2011

Election 2011: 15 days to go

I've been watching the festivities on TV.

From the beginning, I was put off by the Conservative campaign which seems designed to gain re-election by (1) spreading fear of other parties, (2) abandoning all pretense of respecting Canadians through openness, truth and honesty, and (3) demonstrating pseudo-leadership by endlessly repeating the same message whether or not there is any substance behind it. I had fun watching Gilles Duceppe. I loved one of his comments that I heard in the original (my translation) "If it speaks like one, talks like one and smells like one, then it is a dog." Layton is disappointing. He's moved towards the centre, away from what I understand is NDP ideology. I do like his promise to increase CPP payments - more and more important to me as I get older. I like Elizabeth May. In fact the CBC web analysis of my priorities put me right in the middle of her camp. However, she isn't going to make any inroads in Alberta and my supporting her is pointless. That leaves Ignatieff. I like his promise of an open government that stresses education, among other benefits for society, over jets, jails and tax breaks to large corporations. It's a start, but not enough for me.

I listened to most of the Leaders' debates earlier this week and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Harper is true to form - sticking doggedly to his message and arguing that black is white. Layton is more forceful than I  ever thought him possible. Duceppe is true to his cause and speaks for Quebec. Ignatieff did not take advantage of available openings.

I am encouraged by the movement that Rick Mercer started a couple of weeks ago by challenging young people to vote. Students are mobilizing on university campuses, communicating via social media and thinking. That's the exciting part. Students are talking and thinking politics. On the other hand, the politicians continue to avoid speaking directly to students. All that's come from them are promises designed to buy student votes.  The sad part is that the politicians view the buying of votes as sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment